In order to create favorable conditions and increase the capacity for implementation of developments by higher education institutions and research institutions, increase the potential of innovative enterprises, production of competitive innovative and high-tech products, the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine has developed a draft Law of Ukraine “On Amendments in the field of technology transfer “. On January 20, 2021, it was approved at a meeting of the Government and in accordance with the Rules of Procedure of the Cabinet of Ministers will be submitted to the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine.
“The draft legislative amendments are aimed at intensifying the process of transforming intellectual property rights into profitable goods, putting them into civil circulation and making a profit from its use, increasing the level of commercialization of research results by introducing a system of financial and legal instruments,” he said. of Science of Ukraine Serhii Shkarlet.
The adoption of the bill will facilitate the implementation of the following measures:
- strengthening state support in the field of technology transfer;
- standardization of the procedure for purchasing technologies for budget funds;
- availability of foreign databases with economic and patent information;
- спрощенню умов укладення договорів про трансфер технологій.
In addition, legislative changes will allow:
- to ensure monitoring of the technological level and readiness for implementation of technologies and their components created at the expense of the budget;
- to introduce a mechanism for the implementation of foreign patenting at the expense of the state budget;
- to determine the peculiarities of technology procurement for budget funds by establishing the general procedure provided for public procurement with mandatory examination;
- provide higher education and research institutions with access to economic and patent information from foreign sources and databases by creating a web portal on innovation and technology transfer;
- to subsidize projects for the creation of domestic industrial enterprises with the participation of domestic research institutions or institutions of higher education in high-tech industries;
- to improve the procedure for approving the transfer of technologies created or purchased with budget funds abroad;
- simplify the conditions for concluding a technology transfer agreement.
The draft law also provides for the introduction of new and improvement of existing explanations in order to avoid their ambiguous interpretation in practice, details the list of legislative acts and improves the mechanism of coordination between executive authorities in the field of technology transfer.
The document was developed in accordance with goal 13.5 “Development of Science and Innovation” of the Program of Activities of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, approved by the Cabinet of Ministers of June 12, 2020 № 471 and the State Program of Economic Stimulation to overcome the negative consequences of COVID-19.