On June 2, 2021, the third day of the All-Ukrainian Forum “Ukraine 30. Education and Science” lasted. Deputy Speaker of Education and Science of Ukraine for European Integration Andriy Vitrenko became the speaker of the section “Modern University as a platform for research”.
“A modern university is a place where there is a synergy of scientific, educational, and internationalization. The University today: plays a fundamental role in the formation of knowledge through the development of learning, research, and social interaction; manages teaching and research policies; has a defining innovative potential, which is the foundation of a new technological way; ensures the development of scientific and pedagogical staff and international recognition. That is, a modern university is one of the main parts of the country’s innovation activity”, – noted Andrii Vitrenko.
He also stressed that the state is making all necessary efforts to improve the higher education system in Ukraine.
In particular, in pursuance of the Decree of the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky “On Improving Higher Education in Ukraine” №210 / 2020 of June 3, 2020, four important documents were prepared:
- Draft Strategy for the Development of Higher Education in Ukraine. Consultations were held with the CEB, the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, branch academies, and comments from think tanks were received. Together with the Institute of Higher Education of the National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences and a team of experts on higher education reform under Erasmus +, a new version of the draft Strategy was developed.
- Draft order of the Government “On approval of the Concept of the state program for the restoration and development of a network of dormitories for students of higher education institutions for 2021-2025” was developed and agreed with the Ministry of Finance. The document aims to provide applicants for higher education with places in dormitories to improve living conditions, study, and recreation.
- The Government’s order “On approval of the Action Plan for the promotion of natural sciences and mathematics until 2025” was approved. The purpose is to promote the development of science and mathematics education as a fundamental basis for the development of the state.
- The Action Plan for the popularization of opportunities for higher education in Ukraine for foreign students until 2025 has been approved. The goal is to popularize higher education in Ukraine on the world market of educational services, to disseminate information on obtaining higher education in Ukraine in the information space of foreign countries, and to increase the number of foreign students.
This year it is planned to launch an electronic system for monitoring the employment of graduates of higher education institutions.
At the initiative of the Ministry of Education and Science, together with the Pension Fund of Ukraine and the Ministry of Social Policy, the necessary documents have been developed to synchronize the information of the Unified State Electronic Database on Education and the Pension Fund. The procedure has already been registered with the Ministry of Justice and an agreement on information interaction is being concluded, after which testing of the system will begin.
Also on March 17, 2021, the Government approved an order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine to raise a loan from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD – an institution of the World Bank Group) for the project “Improving higher education in Ukraine for results” in the amount of $ 200 million.
The purpose of the investment project is to create conditions for improving the efficiency, quality, and transparency of higher education in Ukraine, support for systemic reforms in the field. The project consists of four interconnected components and will be implemented over five years.
In particular, the Project will finance:
- modernization of equipment, purchase of research and training laboratories, some repair and restoration works of higher education institutions, in particular the merging ones;
- digital infrastructure for the organization of education in higher education institutions to ensure the continuity of the educational process through distance learning technologies, development, and launch of electronic learning management systems;
- modernization of the information-analytical system of higher education.
“Modern universities must succeed and unite. It is through joint efforts that we will build a quality system of higher education for the development of the country’s intellectual potential,” said the Deputy Minister for European Integration.